By Sean Reed –
This session will develop from the previous session.
Set Up – 1st Phase
- Working within 2 penalty areas plus 5yds in length and 5yds wide either side
- 2x teams with 2x goalkeepers
- When the team is in possession a player from that team can go into the wide channel (unopposed) during the build up play. They can only go into the middle area of the channel.
- They are restricted to 2 touches. They can only receive the ball in the middle of the channels and use 1 touch to take it into the end zone. Otherwise they keep possession by playing back into the team in possession
- Only one player from each team can go into the channel. Both channels cannot be occupied when the team is in possession.
- If a goal is scored from a cross then the team are awarded 2 goals, whereas a goal scored from within the pitch area a team is awarded 1 goal (this can be changed depending on what the coach wants to implement)
- Restriction of touches can also be placed on the 2 teams
- Tempo of play
- Angle of support
- Timing of movement
- 1st touch
- Cross from wide areas
- Timing of movement to attack the ball
Set Up – 2nd Phase
- As with the previous session
- Within this session if an attacking player goes into the wide channel a player from the opposing team can go out to create a 1v1.
- The attacking players is on unlimited touches
- Once the ball is lost or out of play both players return to the central area
- As with previous session
- Nearest defender getting out to the ball
- Getting up to the ball to stop the cross
- In possession be positive and use the space (when available) behind the defender
Set Up – 3rd Phase
- As with the previous sessions
- An additional line has been added down the centre of the pitch
- Within this session all the channel lines are removed and the players are provided with a free rain to manage the area how they want
- It is an opportunity to see whether players carry on with what they have learnt from the previous session with the constraints
- As with previous sessions
- Identifying opportunities to switch the play
- Range of pass
- Pressure on the ball and tracking runner
- 1st contact on the ball
By Sean Reed
Former First Team Coach of Championship side Fulham FC. Sean is a UEFA A Coach with a Masters in Sport Coaching. He has over 15 years of experience working in professional football from Academy through to First team in the Premiership and Championship.
Web – www.seanjreed.com
Twitter – @SeanJReed